I didn’t want a wig, but when my dear friend made the suggestion that we try a few on and I thought why not! Besides, it would be silly and out of character of me not to have a plan b. I channeled many ‘soap stars’ that day from The Bold and The Beautiful. Not quite the look I was going for. But I’ve tried on many more wigs since, some excellent ones I might add, and even toyed with the idea of scarves, but it just wasn’t for me. If there was one thing I was able to have some control over (after surrendering my body to countless surgeries leaving tidy battle scars) it was my hair – so hands off!
If a freezing scalp cooling cap fails to remind you to look after your hair during chemotherapy then I’m more than willing to! With these products by your side, they will help add life and luster to dull hair that may be hanging on by a thread!
- Organic/low chemical shampoo and conditioner. Try to avoid any ‘hidden nasties’ such as sulphates, parabens, artificial fragrances, formaldehyde and Isopropyl alcohol in your shampoo and conditioner.
- Clear formula shampoo. Clear formulas are lighter on the hair as many shampoos on the market which are creaming may contain conditioning ingredients. Clear shampoos can be generally lighter in consistency and easier to manipulate through the hair without unnecessary pulling or dragging.
- Grown Alchemist Conditioner with damask rose, chamomile and lavender stem – divine! This product has strong conditioning properties which will aid in detangling and bruising the hair with the WetBrush.
- Schwarzkopf Bonacure BC Hair Therapy Moisture Kick Spray Conditioner. This product will add moisture to thirsty hair and help you when delicately brushing. Avoid spraying directly on the roots though.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo (again, try to avoid spraying directly on the roots). This product absorbs oil and will add body, fullness and texture to your hair. More importantly, it will extend the time between washes. There are now dry shampoos for blondes, brunettes and dark brunettes.
- Batiste Big and Bouncy XXL Volume is perfect for adding texture and volume, although this product packs quite a punch, so only use sparingly and when brushing after use take extra care.
- Loreal Super Dust. This little wonder adds volume. Again, use sparingly and when brushing hair after use take extra care.
- TRESemme Hairspray (if you absolutely need to. This cheap and cheerful, weightless spray. brushes out without leaving residue).
- A silk pillow case! This will help the hair glide freely across the pillow reducing knots. There are so many on the market now and they are readily available from homewards stores and online. Oh, and they’re good for wrinkle prevention too!
Things to remember:
- Use low chemical/organic shampoo and conditioner
- Leave in spray conditioner is great for detangling and replenishing dry hair (one that you can use on the tips in between washes)
- Dry Shampoo is your saviour!
- Use products which add volume
- Invest in a silk pillowcase